Three from three!!! 2016 Professional Family Photographer of the Year – Again!
Last week was the WA Epson Professional Photography Awards. The WEAPPAs! It’s a time of year I love for so many reasons.
- It’s fun! For a few days I get to crawl out of my dark editing cave and catch up with great friends, make new friends and generally talk to other grown ups who love photography.
- There’s always lots of chocolate. Lots!
- The challenge of finding/creating/shooting and/or editing my entries is unbeatable. Every year I go through my past few years work, assessing and reviewing where I’m at and where I’m headed. Some years I’m inspired to create new work, learn new techniques and push myself further than I’ve gone before. Without the unmovable deadlines, these works might stay on the one day list.
- Inspiration. WA has some absolutely amazing photographers and the work that is entered blows me away every year – with out fail!
- There’s the mountains of chocolate. I do love chocolate.
This year I’ve been really busy, I’ve started up a new venture Club Lilypad, and have been teaching 100s of Mums how to use their camera’s and take photos of their kids they really love. Running two businesses take a lot of time and I was tempted not to enter the awards. I hadn’t found time to shoot anything new, or added any extra creative elements to shoots. I’d been busy taking photos parents love.
This year having reached my Master of Photography, I was excited to officially be invited to judge at the awards, a goal I’ve aspired to for since I started entering! A part of me felt judging this year would be enough, a new exciting challenge.
It’s also a fact that I suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out). It was this FOMO, and the knowledge that it’s way more exciting to have your images in mix, that lead me down the familiar path of finding four images from the past two years. I found my four. cleared one “school hours” day to prepare them to an awards standard. I made my printing appointment with PJ at Perth Pro Lab. Off to my framer for expert matting. Then I sent them off to be judged in the family portrait category.
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I’d win the category. Again. For the third year in a row. Wow!
Thank you to my completely awesome clients who allow me into their lives to capture these heart warming images. Thank you!
Your WA Professional Family Photographer of the Year 2014, 2015 and 2016!
And because this is a photography blog! Here’s my winning entries and a few images from the even and exhibition following.